Monday, April 14, 2008

Apart-mental

So for the past couple of weeks, I have subjected myself to trying to locate a place to live here in Orcland. I decided while in Wellywood that I would prefer to attempt dwelling on my own

Here is where I would like to point out that I have done the "living quarters trawl" before in Wellington and more often than not it has been relatively successful with some semi-decent abodes to be found.

Orcland seems to have a large range of places available from cheap and naaaaaaaaaasssssty to mortgaging your soul and handing over your firstborn. Yet strangely they seem to cycle through pretty quickly and for a price that wouldn't kill a Wellingtonian but would certainly raise a few eyebrows. Even worse, for a town that relies almost solely on vehicles due to the seriously crap nature of much of it's public transport, many do NOT come with carparks even if you have handed over your firstborn and all rights to future and as yet unconcieved children.

So after looking at a lovely *wee* apartment for the price of my left kidney, I had very serious second thoughts about the idea of moving and reluctantly continued looking for somewhere to live. (Quite seriously if I had tried to swing a cat in that apartment it would have hit all the walls and splattered on the sliding window/door. Alternatively if more than one person had come to visit, there would have been a queue in the hallway. Pick the analogy that grosses you out less)

Anyhoo, over the weekend I appear to have had more success. There is an apartment I have found which is lovely. It's only 1 bedroom, but there is a nook with enough room for visitors to crash in. There isn't a balcony but there are opening windows (YAY) and it's up high (extra YAY) and it's only a block to get to the movies (DOUBLE SUPER YAY).
Now I just have to convince the landlords that they want me to live there......

And following another thread of thought, I'm stealing a leaf out of the Judge's blog.
I went to see "Definitely, Maybe" on Saturday night. I went into the movie knowing that that this was likely to be complete chicklit pap, and I was not disappointed. I was somewhat disappointed that the storyline wasn't even half as funny as the ads and the various reviews had implied, and the kooky redhead (Isla Fisher, the other half of Ali G) wasn't even half as kooky as I like her to be. Abigail Breslin was occasionally entertaining, but not in best form (as an aside, is she the sister of the other Breslin boy? The one from Zoom and The Kid? My head is spinning OOC). Not even the very, very lovely Ryan Reynolds could save that poor doomed storyline.

So my opinion is girls, watch this on DVD when hormonal due to the cutesy love story; boys, save yourself and leave the house if it's on TV. Other than that, I would ignore it's existance except I know that I'll watch it again just for the Ryan Reynolds eyecandy........

Update: The apartment is mine..... Excellent....... *evil grin*

2 comments:

R said...

You got the apartment? Brilliant - look forward to crashing in your nook... :)

fish said...

Sweet... want to come visit and bring a cat so I can do the swing test!

Just kidding about the cat.